Thursday, January 13, 2011

Everything in an Empty Room-Take Two

I like rhyming. I take rhyming without sounding cliche as a challenge. Which is why I took rhyme into account the first time I wrote this poem. But, my poetry professor has decided to challenge everything we thought we ever knew about writing and our own styles of writing. I've LOVED it. Absolutely loved it.

Our first assignment was to write a non-rhyming poem about a physical place. So as much as a love this one, I decided to try my pen at this one again.

Not sure how I feel about it yet...


I catch the reflection of stainless steel,
out of the corner of my eye.
I scurry to where you find your barrier,
the thin film that slices the oldness of you and shields it from the newness of us.
We do not claim the stench of the memories hidden behind your ruin.
My face is frozen, cold against the glass as I peer into your nothing.
A gutted room; abandoned.
You are left to the chokehold of weeds and sorrow.
They cling tight to your bricks and you are worn thin.
No roof to seal you air tight from the raindrops.
Smell them shattering where your marble tile once lay.
Soon the sun will seep through the cracks of your drooping walls.
Beams of light, promising you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment