Friday, January 7, 2011

Inside this Empty Room

A few days ago my best friend, Catherine, and I were strolling down the streets of downtown Anderson.
I was experimenting with different features on my D-series Cannon, Gladice, taking shots of some of my favorite buildings around the downtown area.
I know this street fairly well because I used to get dance pictures with my classes outside of different buildings, around fountains, on staircases, etc.
However, we never struck a pose in front of this one.
The walls outside were covered with mismatch planks of wood that made their featured centerpiece a glass door.
As we peered through, we were mesmerized by the sight.
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Yet, such a story. It was like seeing everything in an empty room.
I was inspired.
So I wrote...
Don't be fooled by stainless steel, for I am far from stainless.
They stripped away the gut of me and did not make it painless.
They wiped me of my gloss paint walls, replaced them all with wood.
They took their thoughtless wrecking ball to where my pride once stood.
My bricks are worn, my roof was torn, the tiles tangled in weeds.
Abandonment was much to add to insecurities.
"Come in, come in," I plead and plead, but no one understands.
I used to host the loveliest toasts when women gave their hands.
The man would cling tight to his bride, he'd spin her round and round.
And do not fear, my chandelier, the total talk of town.
But all has past, and way to fast, no sign of second chances.
You've walked right by a thousand times and no one even glances.
But if you do ever return, you might could bring a broom,
and sweep whats left of everything inside this empty room.


No comments:

Post a Comment